Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Calling closure

So remember that time I was supposed to go meet with one of the bishop's counselors and I just knew I was going to get a calling? But then I got sick and had to cancel the meeting? Well, they finally tracked me down again and called me in for the meeting wherein they would ruin my life by calling me as a primary teacher or nursery leader. I girded my loins and went in.

I was delightfully shocked when it turned out my new calling wouldn't involve dealing with anybody under the age of eighteen, or even demand more than, say, half an hour a month. After all my worst-case-scenarioing (shut up, it's a word), it turns out that I got the absolute awesomest calling I could ever hope to get!

VISITING TEACHING SUPERVISOR!!!

Hallelujah! I had this calling back during my BYU days. It wasn't a big deal at all. People either call you and tell you they got their visiting teaching done, or you call them at the end of the month, they tell you they didn't do it, and you mark it down. So. Freaking. Awesome!

Needless to say, this is some very, very good news!

But it still wasn't funny when the counselor sent me on my way with a teasing, "Don't worry, I'm sure next time we call you in it will be to call you as a primary teacher."

Ha. Ha.

5 comments:

i i eee said...

Awesome! Also, nowadays, my VT supe just mass texts me to ask me if I've done it. How's that for an easy calling?

kiki said...

...which reminds me... I need to call the sisters I supervise tomorrow and get that info to the powers that be!

It really is the best calling. I can say, "Yes, I have a calling," and only be "bothered" by it for 10 minutes a month! It's amazing!

kiki said...

That's a really good idea, Colt! Unfortunately, I supe ancients who probably don't have cell phones or know how to text.

April said...

What if you get something you really, really, really don't want to do? Can you just not do it?

TOWR said...

i i eee, texting! That's brilliant! I think I'm going to have to use that for my tech-savvy sisters.

April, you don't have to accept a calling, but it's considered poor form not to. I hope to never be called to something that I know I'll hate, because I don't want to be put in the position of wanting to refuse and knowing I shouldn't. But if they called me to the nursery, I'd probably ask them to rethink their decision. I will have NOTHING to do with other people's kids' bodily fluids.