Saturday, October 17, 2009

Washing the couch

This post is being written as I lie on my stomach, teetering on a pile of slightly damp microfiber pillows. Usually I write my posts (and do pretty much everything except go to the bathroom) nestled in the bosom of my super comfortable couch. But today that's just not possible.

Yesterday I looked at my carpet (dotted with little puppy accidents) and my couch (covered in dog hair and dirtied a shade darker than the beautiful beige it was when I bought it five years ago), and decided it was time for a deep clean. The carpet was easy; I got out the old carpet cleaner and gave it a nice, luxurious washing. Next up, I pulled some of the covers off my couch and gave them a test wash in my washing machine. I was so, so careful, washing them in warm water and the expensive detergent my cousin left here when she moved. I dried them a little in the dryer, and they came out perfect. So I pulled all the rest of the cushion and pillow covers off the couch and threw them in the wash too. After they were clean I put them in the drier on the lowest setting. That's where things took a turn for the worst.

Before the drier had even finished its work, my spidey senses started tingling, telling me something was wrong. I took the covers out of the drier while they were still damp. My heart sank. The darker fabrics didn't take too well to the drying. For lack of another word, they bubbled. The darker the fabric, the more severe the bubbling. Forlorn, I searched the interwebs for a solution to my problem, but in vain. There was no hope to be had. So I grabbed a throw pillow and sat on it. I sat on it until my bum was damp and cold and I was uncomfortable, or about five minutes. I pulled the pillow out from underneath me to see that its appearance had returned to normal. Hurrah! I quickly grabbed the other affected pillows, threw them in a pile on the floor and did a belly flop on top of them. So here I am. Lying on the floor, blogging. I don't know if this will be a permanent solution to my problem, although I pray it is.

This whole thing is really sad; the covers are all super clean and back to their brand-new color. It will be such a bummer if a few bubbly pillows ruin it.

No comments: