Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A small taste of what it's like to be me

If I had to describe my life, I would personify it as a pasty, red-haired older brother who's constantly dangling awesome stuff just within my reach then jerking it back again just as my fingertips start to get a grip. Then it laughs maniacally through crooked, braces-lined teeth.

A case in point:

Yesterday I found a piece to one of my aquarium filters that I thought was long gone and lost for good. I mean, this thing had been M.I.A. since I moved more than two years ago. So imagine my surprise when I was cleaning the aquarium I was about to sell and found this little filter part just hanging out in the aquarium stand, wedged between the middle and bottom shelves. With an enthusiastic "All right!" I put the filter piece in my pocket and carried on with my cleaning.

But life would not let me have my filter piece and use it too.

This morning I remembered yesterday's find and eagerly rushed to fit the filter piece in its proper place--no longer would my filter be held into position by a wad of Saran Wrap! I found the tiny hole where the piece should be mounted and inserted it. Then I turned it to get it positioned correctly, which is when I heard a small snap, and found the now-broken filter piece lying useless in my hand.

"OF COURSE!" I spat.

After which, I may or may not have childishly thrown the broken filter piece across the kitchen floor.

I wonder what life is going to tease me with next?

1 comment:

atsirk said...

Ugh. It's just like getting a nice, big cupcake with pink icing and then running into an electric fence and dropping it in the dirt while falling on your butt.

What? That never happened to me when I was little.....or more recently. (Just kidding...it totally happened to me when I was little. No wonder I eat too much - it's because I'm afraid of losing it!)