Tuesday, January 19, 2010

EwHarmony

I recently signed up for eHarmony in a fit of desperate curiosity. For those of you lucky enough to not know how eHarmony works, I'll tell you. You spend about five hours answering a crapton of personal questions, eHarmony compiles a personality profile on you, then emails you a bunch of possible matches based on that profile. Science and romance, a match made in hell.

Yesterday eHarmony matched me with somebody who, by all accounts, was perfect. The right age, funny, successful, not bad looking, a gentleman who is very nice, in the immediate area, has the same personal and moral values as me, oh, and he has a great family. Yes, that's right, a great family. I know because HE IS MY COUSIN! EHarmony matched me with MY COUSIN. Call me crazy, but I think it's creepy to date a person who shares a set of grandparents with you. Talk about a fawkward family reunion.

I went through a barrage of emotions when I clicked the link and saw my cousin's face smiling back at me. It started off with confusion, quickly followed by sheer horror, which was eventually replaced with hysterical laughing. I hurriedly closed the match and looked for a reason that best seemed to fit the situation. Sadly, eHarmony doesn't offer "This person is a blood relative," so I looked a little harder. "Our family backgrounds seem too different" certainly didn't fit the bill, so I settled on "I'm not ready to take the next step." Lord, that was the truth. I sent my cousin a text saying he was one of my matches and asking when he was going to take me out. We had a good laugh and, I like to think, silently agreed never to speak of it again.

Later that night I gave my mom my login information and told her to have a good time trying to find me a date. I just can't deal with it anymore.

5 comments:

Jules AF said...

hahahahaahahahaha

Now that I'm done laughing at that.... eHarmony rejected me. I did their personality test just to see what kind of guys they'd match me with, and IT REJECTED ME! I was like, um wtf?

Kristen said...

That is pretty bad. But at least you were matched with a man and not a woman posing as a man. Way to suck, eharmony!

April said...

So you're saying I should sign up?

TOWR said...

Boob Nazi, I can't believe they rejected you! What on earth are their criteria, I wonder? You seem awesome to me... And you obviously have rockin' boobs. Isn't that all guys care about?

Kristen, we might need to just give up and accept our future as spinsters. I'll move in with you if we're both still not married by the time we're 50. Maybe April will want to get in on that action. Cats for everyone!

April, you've been warned. Join eHarmony at your own discretion.

Carina said...

The best.

You should complain that they DON'T HAVE a "we're related" button.